The Plunkett Foundation, our partner on the More Than A Pub (MTAP) programme, is calling on Government and the public to save pubs across the UK
With thousands of pubs across the UK closing or under threat, community owned pubs offer a real life-line for those who want to save their much-loved, local pub. Plunkett Foundation, the national charity dedicated to supporting community businesses, is calling on us all to save the UK’s pubs before it is too late.
The charity which supports a network of 700 community businesses including 150 community pubs across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland has seen a 53 % increase in enquiries from groups desperate to save their local pub. It is currently supporting 250 community groups seeking to save their local pub. Throughout the pandemic Plunkett has supported community businesses through expert advice and emergency funding to adapt to restrictions and offer essential services to their local communities.
Plunkett’s ‘Policy Call to Action’ calls on the government to ensure that community owned pubs survive and thrive now and beyond the Covid-crisis by:
- Providing absolute clarity in all nations for every phase of reopening pubs
- Permiting the sale of takeaway alcohol in closed containers until pubs are able to fully reopen
- Extend the business rate relief for hospitality for the whole of 2021/22 financial year, mirroring the support in place in Scotland
- Extend the 5% VAT rate on food and non-alcoholic drinks for the whole of 2021/2022 financial year
- Extend the Job Retention Scheme for a further 6 months, or until such a time that pubs are able to trade without restrictions
- Cut the tax duties paid on beer by 25%
Community owned pubs offer hope to communities desperate to secure their place in the future of their towns and villages, but also those who want a place that is more than a pub – that brings people together, helps address problems of isolation, loneliness and offers much needed job opportunities and training.
What can I do?
You can help save community owned pubs by
- Writing to your MP supporting Plunkett’s ‘Policy Call to Action’ for government action
- Supporting the community pub movement across the UK by becoming a member of the Plunkett Foundation
- Supporting Plunkett’s advisory and training service for pubs by donating to our community pubs campaign
To support Plunkett Foundation’s campaign to save local pubs visit www.plunkett.co.uk
To access free guidance and training and to find out how your community can help to save your local pub visit www.plunkett.co.uk.
To donate to support Plunkett helping community pubs visit www.plunkett.co.uk